Are you realizing that self-managing your rental property is harder than you think? Being a landlord is a lot of work. You have to market your vacant property, screen for new tenants, conduct property inspections, and even handle maintenance and repairs.
And that’s just the beginning.
A good property manager can take the hassle out of owning a rental property, leaving you with nothing but the benefits. The problem is, if you’ve never hired a property manager before, you might be asking yourself: Where can I find a property management company near me?
If you’re ready to take a load off and let a professional take on the work of owning an investment property, keep reading. We’ve got all the top ways to find a local property management company.
How to Find a Property Management Company Near Me
1. Ask Those You Trust the Most
Talking to those you know and trust is a great place to start when looking for a nearby property management company. After all, people that are close to you are going to give you the good – and the bad – when it comes to property managers.
Here are some of the most important people to ask for property management company referrals:
- Real estate investors
- Property owners
- Real estate lawyers
- Meetup group attendees
It’s important you ask those that have first-hand experience in the housing industry. They will have the insight you need for hiring an exceptional property manager. They’ll also be able to steer you clear of those companies that have a bad reputation. Just remember, you should always do your due diligence when research property managers before you completely write someone off your list.
2. Check Out Online Advertisements
Another great way to tap into nearby property management companies is to look at online rental ads. After all, at some point, your rental property will be vacant. This means the property manager you hire will be in charge of advertising it as available.
You can learn a lot about a property management company by seeing how they handle rental ads. For example, the property descriptions, photographs, and contact information will clue you into the following:
- How enticing your property manager will make your property seem
- How visually appealing your property manager will make your property look
- How easy your property manager makes it for potential tenants to get in touch and apply
The better the advertisements, the more likely it is your vacancy will be leased quickly to high-quality tenants. So, once you have some property management companies on your list, check out the ads they run to see if you want to continue looking into them.
3. Research Online
84% of people trust online reviews as much as their family and friends. So, it makes sense to look at online reviews after asking your closest friends and family for referrals.
The internet is teeming with information that’s readily available at your fingertips. Knowing where to look for a property management company near you will help you sort through all your options.
Here are some of the best places to conduct your online research:
- Review Websites: we recommend you start on reputable review websites like Zillow, Angie’s List, and Yelp. Here, you’ll be able to learn about each company. This includes contact information and real reviews written by landlords and tenants.
- Official Property Management Websites: all worthy property management companies near you will have an official website. Here, you’ll be able to find information such as the property management services they provide, the management fees they charge, and the promises they make. You should also be on the lookout for tenant and property owner portals, contact information, and testimonials from satisfied property owners.
- Testimonial Websites: there’s a great website called Glassdoor.com that will lend you insight into what it’s like to work for a property management company. You can tell a lot about a company by listening to previous and existing employees. After all, if a company takes care of its employees, it’s likely they’ll take care of their customers too.
Remember, when getting started with a reputable property management company, you’ll want to make sure its number one goal is to make your life easier. And that all starts with happy clients and transparent information for landlords like you.
4. Visit Actual Properties
If possible, try driving by some actual properties being managed by the property management companies you’re interested in. First impressions are easy to get, even if you’re just checking out the front yard. For instance, you can get a glimpse of the property’s structure and landscaping the moment you drive up.
Any properties that look worn and uncared for are to be noted. You don’t want a property manager that allows broken rain gutters, overgrown bushes, or trashed front yards. Not to mention, you don’t want a property manager that doesn’t even know the property looks like that. If this is the case, that means the property manager isn’t performing routine inspections.
When you hand over your investment property to someone else, you hope they will care for it as though it is their own. This not only applies to the tenants, but the property manager too.
5. Talk to Local Renters
Another great source of information can come from renters themselves. After all, tenants are the ones that have the most contact with property managers. Their experiences with the property manager and the company staff should mean a lot to you.
Here are some of the questions you should ask tenants that work closely with property managers you’re interested in:
- How friendly are the property manager and company staff?
- What is the process for handling maintenance and repairs?
- How often are property inspections performed?
- Have you ever talked to the property owner?
- Will you renew your lease at the end of your tenancy?
When you take the time to find out how real-life tenants feel about their property managers, you learn a lot. Whether good or bad, your search can continue in the right direction and help you find a nearby property manager.
Looking for an experienced property management company near you? If so, contact us today and see how we can help take the hassle of owning a rental property away from you.
At All American Rental Property, we approach property management with an “owner’s mentality.” In other words, we care for your property as though it were our own. Whether it be tenant screening, rent collection, or maintenance and repairs that are eating into your time, we’ve got you covered. Thanks to our 20+ years of local experience, we know what it takes to manage your property so you don’t have to waste your valuable time.